If you are familiar with Charlottesville, you will already know why
it is consistently voted one of the best places to live and work on the East coast.
If not then let us introduce you to a beautiful and historical city,
nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Less than
two hours south of Washington D.C., Charlottesville is the proud
home to two World Heritage Sites: the University of Virginia and
Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello.
The Room Key offices are located downtown, in a fantastic space
with panoramic views, just off the historic downtown mall with its
restaurants, free concerts and an eclectic arts, culture and
growing tech community right on the doorstep.
Add to this the opportunity for outdoor adventure, numerous local
vineyards, breweries, superb restaurants, amenities you would only
expect to find in much bigger cities and a unique mix of urban
sophistication and spectacular rural beauty and you’ll immediately
fall in love with this very special place.
Want to know more about whether Charlottesville is the place for you?
Here are a few things you might want to take a look at:
Back End Developer (Clojure)
Room Key is looking for a software engineer with strong server-side web development experience - preferably with the Clojure programming language - to join our backend web development team in Charlottesville, Virginia (sorry, no remote work available).
Solve interesting problems! At scale! Using Clojure! Room Key's website regularly handles over 500,000 unique visitors per day.
You'll be working in an agile shop, with the best team of motivated and smart individuals this side of the Mississippi. We're all 10x-ers.
The environment is fun, friendly, collaborative, and is really fast-paced: schedules are measured in days, not weeks, and our team is obsessed with delivering world-class quality software and services.
See above for the benefits of working at Room Key
Ideally you have:
- Phenomenal testing principles (and perseverance), incl. perhaps a grounding in basic stats
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Willingness to fulfill multiple roles
- BS in Computer Science (but equivalent real-world experience is even better)
- Experience with Clojure or other functional programming languages
- Experience with several database types: object stores (redis), relational (postgres)
- Experience with JVM-hosted development
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (the more the better) and Kafka
- Experience with GIS and spatial analysis
- 5+ years professional software development experience
- 5+ years professional web experience
- Experience with service oriented architectures
- Demonstrated interest/experience in high performance, scalable systems
- xkcd in your daily-read list
- Enthusiasm, team-contributor mindset and obsessive attention to detail
Don't be shy! If you are enthusiastic but only have a subset of our
ideal qualifications, we still want to hear from you.
How To Apply
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include a recent
code sample relevant to our technology stack and representative of
your best work.
Front End Web Applications Developer
See above for the benefits of working at Room Key
- Work as a key member of an agile development team in a relaxed, proactive environment.
- Design and develop new user-facing features to enhance and grow a product already receiving 10-15 million unique visits a month.
- Evolve an existing web application to take advantage of the latest and best practices.
- Collaborate with back end developers in designing and maintaining the API consumed by our front end applications.
- Translate UI/UX requirements into lightweight, performant and scalable code.
- Keep abreast of the latest front end technologies and use them to develop new product ideas and concepts through hackathons and skunkworks projects.
- Attend at least one yearly technology conference to keep your skills and enthusiasm sharp.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent understanding of HTML5 and CSS3 along with higher level templating engines and CSS preprocessors.
- Good understanding of Backbone.js (or other frameworks), jQuery and Underscore.js.
- Enthusiasm for exploring a functional reactive approach to building client-side web applications using React/Redux or higher level languages such as ClojureScript.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around such issues.
- Familiarity with front-end build tools, such as Grunt, Gulp and npm.
- An understanding of the use of Node.js in a development environment.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Good understanding of browser rendering behavior and performance across mobile and desktop platforms.
Bonus Points for Experience in Any of the Following:
- UI design using Photoshop, Illustrator or similar
- Developing browser extensions
- Developing mobile applications
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Multivariate testing, metrics and statistics
- Mario Kart Wii
Interested? Please email a resume to email@example.com. Please also attach a recent code sample representative of your best work.
Digital Marketing Analyst
Room Key is seeking an experienced Digital Marketing Analyst to join our
Charlottesville, VA team. You will be responsible for analyzing and
optimizing the performance of various paid and organic marketing campaigns
across multiple channels, helping us to acquire new customers, grow
share with our existing customers and continually improve website
Due to the nature of our ownership, Room Key occupies a unique position in
the highly competitive online travel space. Your efforts in this challenging
and rewarding role will help to drive measurable growth and success as we
look for new opportunities in this exciting market.
- Work with the Digital Marketing team to develop, implement, and optimize Room Key's marketing strategy
- Assist in identifying and implementing new advertising technology capabilities and best practices
- Provide reports and key insights to business stakeholders through daily use of analytics and reporting tools including Adobe SiteCatalyst/Omniture, Google Analytics, Tableau and MS Excel.
- Identify and maintain baseline marketing metrics to provide ongoing insights into performance and opportunities for improvement
- Assist in developing several marketing channels including paid search, SEO, display advertising, content, retargeted advertising, affiliate programs, and social media.
- Improve paid search performance through research and anaylsis of keyword performance and landing page copy.
- Implement a process to determine and continually analyze the best use of discretionary marketing spend.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, digital marketing, computer science, or related field (or equivalent work experience)
- At least 4 years of experience in web and digital marketing
- Ability to proactively obtain compelling insights from data and to confidently communicate recommendations to business stakeholders based on those insights.
- Experience with leading analytics and reporting tools (e.g. Adobe SiteCatalyst/Omniture, Google Analytics, Tableau) along with statistical tools and languages (e.g. R, Python, MS Excel).
- Strong skills in SQL and experience in using various data sources to develop insightful and actionable outputs and reports
- Strong communication skills and ability to work comfortably with both marketing and technical team members in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Experience in the online hotel industry or wider travel industry is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of advertising technology standards and best practices.
- Experience working with a variety of display, publishing and content networks and exchanges.
How To Apply
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.